From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Barone,
Matthias
Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 18:59
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] ITC question -dimer vs monomer

As Reza already pointed out, ITC cannot tell you anything about the
sub-processes that underlay an equilibrium, be it complicated like 2A+B2 <->
AB2 + A <-> A2B2, or with (virtually) no intermediate 2A+B2 <-> A2B2 due to
a fast second forward reaction , or a simple one-to-one model A+B2 <-> AB2.

Given the lack of additional information, its probably good to assume a
simple one-to-one model and titrate either partner to the other.

If you have two separate binding steps (with similar Kd for B2 for A as well
as AB2 for A), you would measure an apparent affinity and would see the
stochiometrics according to  the inflection point (be it around equimolar
excess or at 0.5 or 2, depending on whether you titrate A or B). If the
reaction is more complicated and the the affinities for B2 for A differ
significantly much from the affinity of AB2 for A, then a simple one-to-one
would leave some notable information in the residual standard deviations
(meaning, the residuals would not spread normally around the Regression
line, but should show a wavy pattern).

Sorry for the long mail..

Matthias

Dr. Matthias Barone

AG Kuehne, Rational Drug Design

Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie (FMP)
Robert-Rössle-Strasse 10
13125 Berlin

Germany
Phone: +49 (0)30 94793-284