Dear Rob,

Based on our experience with difficult MR cases, I recommend performing
refinement on the coordinates from MR (I prefer PHENIX simulated annealing for
this step). Then send the refined map - WITHOUT the model - to automated
building with density modification. The auto-built model may give you an
indication of how many chains are in the asymmetric unit. You could do this
procedure for each of the MR solutions (N=4,5,6) and compare the results. Also,
if you enable automatic detection of NCS during DM, you may find that 6 NCS
operators are found even when N=4 or 5; this would give you confidence that N=6
is possible.

Also look at the cross rotation function to see how many strong peaks are
present. I’m sure the peaks are listed in Phaser, but it is easier for me to
find them in the MOLREP output.  MOLREP also provides a matrix that tells you
which cross RF peaks are related by symmetry and which are unique, which is
helpful.

And David Schuller mentioned inspecting the self-RF, which is a good idea.

Finally, do you know anything about the oligomeric state of the protein? If it
is a pentamer, N=6 seems unlikely. If it is a dimer, N=5 in P212121 seems
unlikely.

Jack

John J. Tanner
Professor of Biochemistry and Chemistry
Associate Chair of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry
University of Missouri
117 Schweitzer Hall
503 S College Avenue
Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: 573-884-1280
Email: tanne...@missouri.edu<mailto:tanne...@missouri.edu>
http://faculty.missouri.edu/~tannerjj/tannergroup/tanner.html
Lab: Schlundt Annex rooms 3,6,9, 203B, 203C
Office: Schlundt Annex 203A

On Nov 13, 2019, at 8:33 AM, Robert S Phillips

I have been working on a protein structure which has been hard to solve by
molecular replacement.

Unit cell: (60.6, 172.34, 196.42, 90, 90, 90)
Space group: P 21 21 21

The problem is that the homologues have only ~20% identity, and there are
multiple chains in the asymmetric unit.  The question is how many.  It could be
4, 5, or 6 chains.

N      solvent                           P
 4      0.602           3.09            0.225
 5      0.502           2.47            0.388
 6      0.403           2.06            0.229

I have run PHASER with 4, 5 and 6 chains.  I allowed it to search all possible
space groups, and P212121 was the best solution.  These are the results.

N          LLG           TFZ
4          104.9        7.5
5          137.5        7.7
6          166.2        8.3

 Am I correct to conclude that there are 6 chains in the asymmetric unit?

Rob

Robert S. Phillips
Professor of Chemistry and of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
Phone: (706) 542-1996
Fax: (706) 542-9454