From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of orly avraham
<orly.levin...@mail.huji.ac.il>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 3:30 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [ccp4bb] Generating symmetry mates using python

Hi all,

I am a crystallographer currently employing computational methods as well as
experimental crystallography.
I am trying to generate symmetry mates in python (working with pandas
dataframes), in order to analyze inter-sub-unit interactions. To do so I am
trying to use the info in "REMARK 290 CRYSTALLOGRAPHIC SYMMETRY" and manually
(using numpy) perform a matrix multiplication with the relevant translation
(xyz*rotation + translation).
For some reason this doesn't work consistently and I feel I need to use the
info in CRYST1 to obtain the unit cell and multiplication matrix. Here I ran
into trouble with extracting the correct symmetry operations based on each
space group. I found spglib but it doesn't quite solve the problem.
I also tried opening PyMol through the command and generating symmetry mates
this way. It worked on a few files but failed quite quickly (segmentation
fault) and was also very slow.
Can anyone suggest a useful solution, preferably clear to use and/or well
documented? Or even have a python script/code they can share for this?

Best regards,
Orly

--

Orly Avraham, Ph.D.