Dear all,

We recently solved a the structure of a small c-type cytochrome. We observed,
that of the eleven chains in the asymmetric unit ten form 3D domain swapped
dimers by exchanging an α-helix. The eleventh  chain is present as a monomer.
Based on the anomalous iron signal and the chain tracing we are sure that no
chain was missed.
I tried to find other examples in the PDB, were one crystal is made of
different homo- or heterooligomers.  I only found proteins with partial
occupied peptide binding sites, which is not what I am looking for. Does anyone
know of a case were the presence of different homo- or heterooligomers is
required to form the crystal?

Best regards,
Thomas Klünemann

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH | Inhoffenstraße 7 | 38124
Braunschweig | www.helmholtz-hzi.de

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Frau MinDir'in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Stellvertreter: MinDirig Rüdiger Eichel, Niedersächsisches Ministerium für
Wissenschaft und Kultur
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dirk Heinz; Silke Tannapfel
Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbH)
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Braunschweig
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Braunschweig, HRB 477