James,

The case you’ve chosen is not a good illustration of the relationship between
atomic B and resolution.   The problem is that during scaling of Fcalc to Fobs
also B-factor difference between the two sets of numbers is minimized. In the
simplest form  with two constants Koverall and Boverall it looks like this:

sum_to_be_minimized = sum (FOBS**2 -  Koverall * FCALC**2 * exp(-1/d**2 *
Boverall) )

Then one can include bulk solvent correction, anisotripic scaling, … In PHENIX
it gets quite complex.

Hence, almost regardless of the average model B you will always get the same
map, because the “B" of the map will reflect the B of the FOBS.  When all
atomic Bs are equal then they are also equal to average B.

best, dusan