Dear all,

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Winter, Graeme (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) wrote:

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 09:08:21
From: "Winter, Graeme (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI)" <graeme.win...@diamond.ac.uk>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Raw diffraction images for SARS-CoV-2 related structures

No matter how much data we produce, the particle physicists have us beat, and I would wager that netflix is a couple of orders of magnitude worse than MX for the environment.

And not only the particle physicists - the astronomers too. A few years ago, I came across a figure for the daily data output rate of one of the projects that scans observatory data for objects that might be on a collision course with the Earth. We are a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Anyway, whatever the balance of opinion on long-term archiving of raw image data, that is not the issue that Gerard and Clemens have raised. It is rather making raw data available to the maximum number of researchers on a massively important and urgent question of pubic health. It is in the same spirit as the sequence of SARS-CoV-2 having been made immediately available by the Chinese researchers who first obtained it. I think that the case for doing so where there are no major technical impediments is unanswerable.

Regards,
Peter.

--
Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889