On 19/03/2020 12:43, Clement Degut wrote:

I have been recently trying to use ccp4 in windows subsystem for Linux 2 (Ubuntu distribution), everything i tried run perfectly smoothly, including graphical interfaces.

I am pleasantly surprised - when I tried that (some time ago) the graphics performance as terrible. Perhaps you have better hardware.

My only problem is with coot (latest build), the interface is working fine, as well as the 3D graphical. The only problem is that the graphical window is offset from the rest of the UI (see screenshot).
So although it looks like everything would work smoothly it's not really usable.

What, would you say, is the biggest problem?

I guess it comes from the absence of GPU access under WSL2 and so no proper display driver, but does anyone had this problem? (and managed to solve it).

FWIW, I have not seen this problem before (and don't know how to fix it)

It seems to me an X server problem (or configuration issue). Have you tweaked or disabled the native OpenGL options on the X server?

Would be very useful for people working from home without a full linux dual
boot.

Hmm.

In a more general note, it seems that WSL2 will be able to replace windows specific build very effectively in the very near future.

For everything other than OpenGL graphics (and maybe the Cloud would also be
problematic), yes, it seems so.

Paul.