Paul's answer helped despite of my sparse infos, thanks.

I am using open SuSE, either openSUSE Leap 42.3 or 15.1
I am using ccp4-7.0 and coot 0.8.9.2 downloaded from the CCP4 Download
pages

In the Application menu   I could change    Settings - Configure
Desktop - Appearance - Workspace Theme - Look And Feel     from
default "openSUSE" to "Breeze Dark".  This results in white text on
gray background.

Thanks again
  Gottfried