Hello community,

We recently had a dry shipping dewar fail catastrophically (while en route to
the beam line, so, major trauma). I sent it to a company that specializes in
repair and refurbishing of cryogenic tanks, and they told me it has an internal
leak, and hence is not reparable. I was expecting that the valve had failed, so
the internal leak diagnosis came as a surprise.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas about how an internal leak
might come about? The dewar is (was) a Taylor/Wharton CX100, and it was
traveling in its bespoke shipping case.

Thanks for any insights that might satisfy my curiosity and/or prevent future
mishaps of this sort.

Cheers,

Pat

Patrick J.  Loll, PhD
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1192 USA