From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Harry Powell -
CCP4BB
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 03:11
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] AW: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ccp4bb] number of frames to get a
full dataset?

Dear all

I’ve been persuaded that MPR is a useful name (and see that there are
shortcomings with both “multiplicity” and “redundancy") and I agree with much
of what’s been said most recently in this thread.

BTW, just because the Physics definition of a measurement/quantity/whatever is
given on wikipedia (or elsewhere, for that matter), it doesn’t mean that’s what
we (crystallographers, structural biologists, etc) should use without question.
If you check

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)

you will find no mention of diffraction maxima corresponding to reflections
except a link to a page on diffraction. Or maybe we should slavishly follow the
Physicists and use another term…