Hi everyone,
Apologies to the late joining.
XChem at Diamond light source only uses reusable bases and that since the start
of xchem 4-5 years ago and we have lots of them (2000 maybe more?).
Simple reason is that they are the only bases on the market which are re-usable
and really easy to make replacement for: you pull out the old pins, you slot in
the new ones. When preparing the pins, you can notice pretty quickly the 'bad'
bases: With time, it becomes really hard to slot in the pin and the pin comes
back up so you can see by eye that the overall pin length is longer than the
Spine standard. The pin is also not snuggly fitting in the base. We then tend
to throw away those bases. In the last 4-5 years, I don't remember us throwing
away so many of those and given how heavily we use them (being frozen and thawn
many many times), they seem to hold for some time. We do not use any acetone,
glue etc...we clean them using a sonicator bath.

Regarding the slipping pin issue, when we were optimising the centring on i04-1
for automated centring, we have noticed that if you are not 'drying' the base
at the early stage of the centring, we would not get the reliability we
observed when doing reliability test at room temperature and that is because of
pin drifting. We have put an 'air blowing focussed on the base' system on i04-1
and that has greatly improve the reliability. We have beamsize from ~35 to 70um
and our smallest crystals are about 35um so we might have got away until now
but we will keep an eye on this the day we upgrade for much smaller beam!

Alice