Hi Folmer,

I would choose to not do the real space refinement in phenix.refine during
> the last rounds of refinement of a model, when sidechain positions are
> essentially correct.

by design it is supposed to place and fit side chains as good as possible,
satisfying both map fit and geometry criteria (such as rotameric states and
NCIs). If it does not perform up to your expectations it is best to report
this to us and I will make sure the issue is taken care of immediately. I
wonder if you wouldn't mind explaining your choice and if possible argue it
with specific examples (preferable all done off mailing list as this gets
way too narrow and specific!). -Thanks!

Pavel