Hi Joseph,

It is a very beautiful crystal with neat diffraction patterns and
background, which may suggest a good cryoprotection. Here is my observation
from your images.

1. From your image taken at 30 degrees (first page), I believe it is a
protein crystal with a larger unit cell length on one dimension, rather
than an inorganic crystal. By measuring the distance between two spots in
line, you may be able to estimate the length of the unit cell two
dimensions.

2. According to the first crystal image, there is a line in the middle of
the crystal. If I am correct, it could be that two crystals grew  and
merged together. I used to have some cases like this. In my case, one half
of the crystal showed a hexahedron shape, and another half with a nearly
cubic shape. Eventually, the structure was determined in both P3 and P222
with refined conditions, respectively.  If this is true in your case, you
may have a multi crystal growth.

3. According to the 90 degree angle image on your second page, the
diffraction spots at right-bottom corner (4:30 O'Clock), those three spots
could be a protein crystal with a shorter length. There could be two
possibilities, very anisotropic growth or taking a longer exposures.

4. According to the outlooking of you crystal, it is very possible to carry
P3 or P6 symmetry. If this is true, it won't be an inorganic crystal.

5. If you still have crystals from the same drop, you may cut a piece from
the right side and take a long shoot. You may have a chance to index it.

Best,

Kevin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 7:47 AM Joseph Ho <sbddintai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all:
> We recently worked on 8kDa protein crystal structure. We obtained
> crystals in Zinc acetate and PEG8000 condition. However, we observed
> this unusual diffraction patterns. I am wondering if anyone observed
> this and know how this can occur. The cryoprotectant is glycerol.
>
> Thank you for you help
>
> Joseph

Kevin Jin Ph.D

Sharing knowledge  is always joyful......A flash scientist in biology.

Website: http://www.jinkai.org/