I would like to draw your attention to the position below.
Please contact Andrew Roe or Olwyn Byron if interested.

RE: 3-year BBSRC funded project, University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK.

Post-doctoral project with Profs Olwyn Byron and Andrew Roe
A new twist on drug design: AdhE spirosomes as cross species anti-virulence
targets

In our quest to develop new compounds to block a range of infections we have
been studying a bacterial protein called AdhE. AdhE is important because
when it is deleted from pathogenic E. coli (str. O157:H7) it causes an
attenuation of virulence and a reduction in expression of the major system
used to attach to host cells. AdhE oligomerises in vivo and in vitro to form
long (15-120 nm) filaments, called spirosomes, that can be visualised using
electron microscopy. These are assumed to be an important aspect of the
enzymatic efficiency of the protein. Importantly we have solved the
high-resolution structure of the protein and identified lead compounds that
bind and inhibit spirosome formation. However, there are several outstanding
questions that we propose to address, thereby enhancing our understanding of
how AdhE spirosomes work. This basic knowledge will help us to translate our
work in the longer-term and to develop specific inhibitors that might
function against a range of Gram-negative pathogens. Specifically, we seek
answers to the following questions:

1.              Why are AdhE spirosomes formed and how is this regulated?
2.              Do AdhE spirosomes channel substrates?
3.              Where is the binding site for the lead compounds?
4.              Does AdhE influence expression of T3SSs in other species?

To address these questions we will use SAXS, AUC (University of Glasgow) and
molecular dynamics simulations (in collaboration with Prof Syma Khalid
(University of Southampton)). We will also aim to determine where compounds
bind on spirosomes by performing cryo-EM studies in collaboration with Prof
Ji-Joon Song (KAIST, Korea). To widen our understanding of the relevance for
other pathogens, we will generate adhE deletions in other Gram-negative
species and perform virulence-based assays with each pathogen.

The work requires a motivated protein biochemist/structural biologist who is
keen to take on an exciting project. Informal enquiries to Olwyn or Andrew:

olwyn.by...@glasgow.ac.uk <mailto:olwyn.by...@glasgow.ac.uk> and
andrew....@glasgow.ac.uk <mailto:andrew....@glasgow.ac.uk>

Mads Gabrielsen, MSc, PhD
Protein Crystallographer / Biophysicist
MVLS Structural Biology and Biophysical Characterisation Facility

Room B4-13
Joseph Black Building
University of Glasgow
GLASGOW