Any twinning is due to overlapping diffraction patterns from two or more
different crystal fragments.
This means that the "intensity" measured is in fact the sum of two or more
different I(hkl) s eg in your case* I(hkl) obs* actually equals  *I(h k l
) + sc (I -h -k l)* .
The diffraction can look perfect for either meridral twins or
non-merihedral twins if the crystal axes are exactly related. (There is a
clear explanation in the $CCP4 documentation -
*Twinning (CCP4: General)**NAME**twinning - dealing with data from twinned
crystals*
*etc etc *

Split spots usually occur from crystal defects. The integration programs
try to screen out the smeary parts of the mage and can lead to lost
information..

Cheers - ask again if this isnt clear
Eleanor