Hi Ed, dear ccp4bbs

I fully support your email!

Most email clients have a tick box to include a plain text version in
addition of the html-version in their preferences.

Reading plain text emails instead of the html-version (which is also an
available option for most email clients) is a very effective barrier
against spam. People should take this into account, considering the
global rise of ransomware attacks, with serious consequences to some
large institutions and companies.

It has always been good netiquette to at least include a text-version
of your email.

Cheers,
Tim

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:17:26 -0400 Edward Berry <ber...@upstate.edu>
wrote:

> Two suggestions for people sending pictures of electron density to
> the BB:
>
> 1. Reduce the size of the pictures-
> The two pictures in yesterday's email appear nice and small in my
> email client, but still illustrate what is being described. However
> they are actually 4032x3024 and 2040x1458 pixels, making for rather
> large emails. All that extra resolution is wasted unless the user
> opens the image directly ("view image"), and in any case is
> completely unnecessary for the point being made. I think about
> 600x600 pixels is plenty for almost anything you want to show in
> electron density. This does not require manipulation in photoshop or
> such- just reduce the size of the graphics window and take a
> screenshot of that window.
>
> 2. send the picture as an attachment rather than inline. That way it
> won't be included in all the replies. Or if the people replying could
> find some way to exclude pictures or formt the reply as plain-text,
> that would help.
>
> (No, I'm not receiving these emails via 1200 baud modem- but I like
> to save the messages for future reference. If the trend continues
> toward high-resolution inline screenshots, that will take a
> significant amount of disk space. And yes, I know there is an
> archive.) eab

Tim Gruene
Head of the Centre for X-ray Structure Analysis
Faculty of Chemistry
University of Vienna

Phone: +43-1-4277-70202

GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A