Von: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> Im Auftrag von Peer Mittl
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. August 2021 11:54
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: [ccp4bb] chain on 2-fold axis?

Der CCP4 community,

Is there a refinement program that can handle protein monomers sitting
on crystallographic 2-folds?

This is probably a strange question but we have the following situation.
We have a 2.6 Ang datasets in SG P3221 (Rpim=4%, Isa=19.6) and a clear
molrep solution with 2 chains, albeit with tNCS (0/0/0.5) that can be
refined to around 27/33% Rfactor. According to Vm a third chain could be
present. So far so good, but there is clear difference ED for a third
chain sitting exactly on the 2-fold. Since the protein has a peculiar
shape, one can tell even its orientation. I can relax the symmetry to
P32 (or even P1) and place the missing chain with 50% occupancy on the
2-fold. This model can be refined, but I do not like this work around,
because the data is clearly P3221.

Any hints on similar crystal pathologies and how they have been handled
would be helpful.

All the best,
Peer

available at