Hi,

I’m pleased to alert you to this job opening, and that in accordance with the
law and good practice, we particularly welcome applications from suitably
qualified women and other underrepresented groups.

Beamline Scientist – XFEL Hub at Diamond Light Source

Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE, UK

Salary £33,963 to £39,955 per annum (Discretionary range to £45,949), dependent
upon skills and experience

Full time / Flexible hours considered.

Closing Date 04 October 2021

Hyperlink to Reference:
10619<https://vacancies.diamond.ac.uk/vacancy/beamline-scientist-xfel-hub-455548.html>

About Us

Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By
accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams
of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry
research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including
structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth
and environmental sciences.

About the Role
The XFEL Hub at Diamond Light Source is seeking a Beamline Scientist for a full
time, permanent position. This person will help with the activities of the Hub
and its mission to enable and promote dynamic structural biology at Diamond and
at X-ray Free Electron Lasers (XFELs). To this end, the Hub is developing tools
and methods to enable time-resolved serial crystallography experiments
conducted at near-physiological temperatures, especially at XFELs but also at
Diamond MX beamlines. We are also working to develop freeze-quench strategies
to trap reaction intermediates for analysis by complementary approaches
including structural and spectroscopic methods. The scientist will help the
XFEL Hub execute a variety of R&D plans, which when successful, will yield
robust and routine time-resolved serial crystallography strategies/results at
Diamond, Diamond II, and at XFEL facilities. The candidate will also peruse R&D
projects that are complementary to the mission of the Hub.

The position will very likely include international travel to XFEL facilities
in the USA (LCLS), Japan (SACLA), South Korea (PAL-XFEL), Switzerland
(SwissFEL) and Germany (European XFEL) for data collection along with members
of the Hub and the international research community.

About You
Excellent interpersonal communication skills, an ability to collaborate in
large and complex groups, as well as adherence to best scientific practices are
all vital to the position.

Prior hands-on experience with macromolecular crystallography at a synchrotron
is required. Serial synchrotron crystallography experience is highly desirable.

Serial femtosecond crystallography (SFX) experience at an XFEL facility is not
strictly required but is highly desirable. Moreover, the direct hands-on XFEL
experience with time resolved SFX methods at one or more XFEL facilities is
ideal.

Benefits
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a
positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of
statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an
excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on
site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure
facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.

To Apply
Please use the Diamond online
application<https://vacancies.diamond.ac.uk/vacancy/beamline-scientist-xfel-hub-455548.html>
 process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.

The closing date for applications is 04 Oct 2021.

Other information

  *   Company benefits<http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Careers/Company-Benefits.html>
  *   Life at
Diamond<http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Careers/Applicant-Information/LocalArea.html>

Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working
arrangements and secondment opportunities.

Diamond attracts talented individuals from around the world and currently
employ 44 different nationalities.  Reflecting trends in our sector, we employ
more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, in
accordance with law and good practice, we particularly welcome applications
from suitably qualified women and other underrepresented groups.

If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Guaranteed
Interview Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance
organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and
Disability Confident Level One.

Sincerely,

AMO
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Allen M. Orville, Ph.D.
Wellcome Investigator and Royal Society Wolfson Fellow
Principal Scientist, XFEL Hub at Diamond Light Source
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
Didcot, Oxfordshire
OX11 0DE
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0) 1235 567505
Mobile: +44 (0) 7471 026061
email: allen.orvi...@diamond.ac.uk

AMO site: https://www.diamond.ac.uk/Instruments/Mx/XFEL-Hub/Staff/Orville.html
XFEL-Hub site: https://www.diamond.ac.uk/Instruments/Mx/XFEL-Hub.html

--
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright and or
privileged material, and are for the use of the intended addressee only. If you