Hi Ian, James,

                      I have a strong feeling that I have seen this result
before, and it was due to Andy Hammersley at ESRF. I’ve done a literature
search and there is a paper relating to errors in analysis of counting
statistics (se below), but I had a quick look at this and could not find the
(N+1) correction, so it must have been somewhere else. I Have cc’d Andy on this
Email (hoping that this Email address from 2016 still works) and maybe he can
throw more light on this. What I remember at the time I saw this was the
simplicity of the correction.

Cheers,

Andrew

Reducing bias in the analysis of counting statistics data

Hammersley, AP <https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/2665675>
(Hammersley, AP) Antoniadis, A
<https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/13070551> (Antoniadis, A)

NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTS & METHODS IN PHYSICS RESEARCH SECTION A-ACCELERATORS
SPECTROMETERS DETECTORS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT

Volume

394

Issue

1-2