I have updated Ubuntu on notebooks a couple of times from one LTS release to
the next. This works well (and is tested) for those packages that are part of
the old release, but it does not necessarily work well for packages outside the
distribution.
apt-mark showmanual
should show those manually installed packages on Ubuntu.

(With Arch Linux or Manjaro you can use
pacman -Qe
instead. In case of Fedora,
dnf history userinstalled
should produce a list. In CentOS 7,
yum history addon-info
may be a start.)

Obviously you'll have to keep an eye on those extra packages. They will not
necessarily be upgraded, and they may even prevent the upgrade from one LTS to
the next.
When taking this into account, upgrades of LTS versions have worked for me.

Hope this helps,
Kay