Hi Andy,
just to follow up on Christian suggestion, which is exactly the way to go.

In case you are using an already pET based vector, simply try BL21-AI
(https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/C607003), which has the T7
RNA polymerase under arabinose promoter should do the trick.
Also, 2% Glucose is a must in this kind of situation.
I have been dealing with several toxic proteins (from the family of restriction
enzymes :) ) and BL21-AI was a way to go.
Please also have a look if your pET backbone has the extra copy of the lacI,
which makes a difference in leakage expression.

As a sum up:
1) try BL21-AI (for the induction of the target protein you will need both
Arabinose (T7 RNA pol induction) and IPTG for the T7 promoter)
2) or BL21 with pLysS or pLysE
both simple keep 2 % Glucose and also directly from trafo goto liquid culture
in parallel of the plating approach.

Let me know if you need any further tips.

Nikolay Dobrev
Postdoctoral Fellow @ Wilmanns group
EMBL Hamburg, c/o DESY, Building 25A,
Notkestraße 85, 22607 Hamburg, Germany