Morning James, thanks for your attention to this issue.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I’d also like to point out that here in
the US, the proposed DOE FY2023 budget request includes cutting a 10% funding
*cut* to X-ray light sources (based on 2018 baseline). It seems the timing
couldn’t be worse, so I am pasting below a call to action that was shared with
the SSRL user group:

Dear Colleagues:

I write to you as a member of the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource
(SSRL) user community to solicit your support for SSRL and the other Department
of Energy (DOE) Basic Energy Sciences (BES) - funded X-ray light sources in the
face of a potential cut in funding for facility operations. The cut in funding
was proposed in the DOE’s FY2023 Presidential Budget Request (PBR) and, if
enacted, would support only 90% of optimum, based on a 2018 baseline for SSRL
and the other DOE BES X-ray Light sources.

If this email has reached you in error, then I apologize, but if not then
please read on.

Thank you for your attention,

Graham George, Chair, Users’ Executive Committee, Stanford Synchrotron
Radiation Lightsource

Attachments:

  1.  Separate copy of this message (pdf)
  2.  May 25th 2022 Letter sent to House and Senate Chairs and Ranking Members
of Energy and Water subcommittees (pdf)
  3.  Example letter – please edit –  (MS Word)
Professor Graham N. George, B.Sc., D.Phil., D.Sc., FRSC(UK), FRSC
Molecular and Environmental Sciences Group, University of Saskatchewan

The issue: This DOE response to the FY2023 PBR stipulates that all five
DOE-funded light sources (ALS, APS, NSLS-II, SSRL and LCLS) will be supported
at approximately 90% of optimum level, with funding levels for normal
operations based on a 2018 baseline. This proposed cut adds to the considerable
deficit that has accumulated across the DOE-funded light source complex since
the 2008 financial crisis. For example, between FY2018 and FY2022, facility
operating budgets have increased at less than half the rate of inflation. As a
result, facilities have already been forced to reduce scientific staffing
levels to well below the optimum. Remaining staff are increasingly overworked
in close to an unsustainable fashion, and this may lead to the mothballing of
beamlines in FY2023. Given the importance of light sources in the modern
scientific research environment, a direct consequence is severe erosion of US
scientific competitiveness on the international stage. This impact will become
dramatically worse should the trend not be rectified by a substantial increase
in facility operating budgets.

What you are asked to do: We are asking users to telephone and write their
elected representatives. This is especially important for users who are from
states with members in the House and Senate who are on the Energy and Water
Subcommittees. Please examine the membership to see if this is you, and if so
then please act soon.

Senate: The membership list of the Senate subcommittee on Energy and Water
Development is given at the following URL:
https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/subcommittees/energy-and-water-development
Telephone numbers are listed here:
https://www.senate.gov/general/resources/pdf/senators_phone_list.pdf

House: The membership list House subcommittee on Energy and Water Development,
and Related Agencies is given at the following URL:
https://appropriations.house.gov/subcommittees/energy-and-water-development-and-related-agencies-117th-congress
Telephone numbers, arranged alphabetically by location, are listed here:
https://www.house.gov/representatives

Telephone Contact: This is an especially important mechanism because it is easy
to do and because all telephone calls must be logged, whereas letters may not
always be read. This is important if your representative serves on the House or
Senate Energy and Water Subcommittees. Here is some advice for an effective
telephone call:

  *   Be brief
  *   Identify yourself and your position (faculty, grad student, etc.) and
that you are a constituent
  *   Indicate the importance of the Department of Energy X-ray light sources
for your work
  *   Recognize the past support from Congress for scientific research then
indicate your concern about the operating budget cut
  *   If you leave a voicemail leave your complete address
  *   Avoid acronyms as staff may not know what these mean
  *   If you talk to an individual make a note of the name of the person
  *   Make a note of the date and time that you called
Writing to your representative: If you are from a state with a committee
member, then write to them and copy both the committee chairperson and the
ranking member. Letters can be communicated by email; the information for which
can be found on your member’s web site. If your state does not have
representation on the subcommittee then write to the chairperson and the
ranking member:

  *   Start with the issue in the first sentence of the letter – the FY 2023
Department of Energy Office of Science Operating Budget for large scale X-ray
light sources, and in particular the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource.
  *   Identify yourself and your position
  *   Indicate the importance of the X-ray light sources for your research and
for the nation
  *   Recognize the past support from Congress for scientific research then
indicate your concern about the operating budget cut
  *   Avoid acronyms