Hi James,

- Where exactly inside the blob of density do you place these dummy atoms?

> Where? At the peaks.

Peaks? This means you need to have atomic resolution data and also blobs
representing ordered atoms, so you actually have peaks!

> What I usually do is pick peaks, put atoms at the highest ones, then
> either refine for a bit or simply subtract a "divot" of density around each
> added atom and then look for new peaks. Once the height of after-refinement
> positive difference features drops to an insignificant level I stop.  NB
> that "significance" of any sigma level depends on the number of voxels in
> the map, but its usually between 3.5 and 4.5 sigmas.
>  One can also start with a 3D "grid" of dummy atoms.  Gaussians spaced
> within 0.8*fwhm of each other form a pretty flat density profile.  In such
> cases refining just one overall B factor and individual occupancies with no
> xyz motion is pretty effective all by itself.

Dummy atoms on a 3D grid approach in fact has a documented instance of a
successful application (although in a slightly different context):

 "Local improvement of electron density maps". (1997).  Acta Cryst., D53,
540-543.

- I guess O or C as an atom type should do it, but what about B factor
> (would you refine B as well?)?
>
> I find oxygen will do in peak-picking cases, but for grid atoms under very
> smooth density and closely-spaced atoms I have found the individual
> occupancies get rather small, the round-off error of occupancy from 0.01 to
> 0.00 creates a granularity of ~0.1 electron, and this can start creating
> artificial noise in the fit.  For cases like this I have gone to "liquid
> helium", or modelling dummy atoms as He. Yes, you might think that hydrogen
> would be better, but H atoms have so many special checks and whiz-bangs for
> how they are treated I eventually gave up and went to He.  (One could also
> argue that at low enough temperature He atoms are allowed to "overlap"
> anyway. ;) )

Yes, H (Acta Cryst. 1997. D53, 540-543) or O (Acta Cryst. 1993. D49,
129-147) depending on whether you do peak picking or refine DAs on the grid.
And I see why He may be a better choice, yes, hydrogens are too special
these days!

Pavel