On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:57 AM Matt McLeod <mjmcleo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a series of datasets at 253K (~2.0A), 273K (2.0A), 293K (2.0A),
> 313K (2.2A) and I am curious as to the details in determining B-factors.

In the larger physical universe those temperatures are not very far apart.
I would not expect much change in the physical properties of the crystal
or its content.    There is a reason that "cryo" crystallography generally
means "liquid nitrogen temperature", i.e. 77K but more like 100K at the
position of a crystal in a boil-off nitrogen stream.

The first thing you should check when comparing B factors is whether the
different refinements use the same, or closely comparable, overall
B correction.  Typically this is an anisotropic correction; you would
want to add an isotropic approximation of this overall term to the
individual refined atomic B factors and then compare the sums.
That gives you a back-of-the-envelope comparison.

To do a more thorough job is complicated.

I am of course highly biased towards the power of TLS
My suggestion would be to first use the refined B factors you have to
construct a segmented TLS model. I would then reset all the Bs to a
constant and refine the data sets in parallel using a "pure TLS" model,
i.e. no individual atomic B factors.
Afterward I would compare the magnitude of the principle components
of each TLS segment as a function of the data collection temperature.
The rationale is that the individual TLS segments are chunks of the
structure, domains, subdomains, loops, etc, that may be relatively
free to vibrate within the crystal lattice.  You would expect the
magnitude of this vibration to increase with temperature.
Not so much the individual atomic vibrations described by atomic
B factors.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg