Dear colleagues,

Firstly, I would like to thank Clemens, Claus, Ian and Gerard for the very interesting analysis and remarks!

Similarly to Frank, I am wondering "whether any refinement program properly extracts the high-resolution signal when there's anisotropy". Poor completeness in high resolution can play a role. Somewhere in the "gear wheels" of refinement programs (refmac5, phenix.refine, buster, ...), Fourier transform has to take place. It is a sum through hkl indices which somehow assumes isotropic data to "work reasonably", I think. However, anisotropic cutoffs produce strong systematic absences in data. The refinement programs must fit the structure model on significantly incomplete data, which is quite questionable. On the other hand, structure refinement is usually stable and converges also when using anisotropically-cut data so that is a good sign.

To conclude, I am still wondering if there should or should not be a criterion for the minimal spherical completeness in high resolution. This would probably vary for particular refinement programs/strategies.

Best regards,
Martin