Hi Gerard

API good, web pages bad for this - I’d need to do this 100s of times a day (in
spite of AlphaFold, Phyre gets used > 1000 times a day, and I anticipate many
users wanting this feature).

Using things like SMILES, InChi etc is all to make users’ lives easier - I have
to see what’s best.

Many thanks for this - your colleagues at EBI have already been very helpful
(but chose to reply off-list) - I’ll prepare a digest RSN…

Harry

> On 7 Oct 2022, at 15:15, Gerard Kleywegt <ger...@xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Harry,
>
> On the ChEBI website, if I type a simple SMILES string into the search box
> (c1ccccc1) it takes me to the corresponding entity page. I don't know if they
> have an API that supports this but I'm sure the friendly folks of the ChEBI
> helpdesk (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/emailChebiForward.do) can tell you.
>
> Another resource that may be of use in this context is UniChem
> (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/unichem/). You provide an InChI (not SMILES
> unfortunately) and it will then return a list of the identifiers of the
> compound in bunch of resources (incl. ChEMBL, ChEBI, PDB, PubChem, Zinc,
> etc.) - if they exist in that resource of course. (It offers an API so is
> good for programmatic access - https://www.ebi.ac.uk/unichem/api/docs )
>
> You can also provide a compound ID from any of those resources to find out
> what it is called in the other resources (if it exists there), e.g.
> https://www.ebi.ac.uk/unichem/compoundsources?type=sourceID&compound=BNZ&sourceID=3
>  searches for the compound we know as BNZ in the PDB.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --Gerard
>

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2022, Harry Powell wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeet
>>
>> This is very useful - many thanks.
>>
>> I was hoping there might be some kind of API for searching the ChEBI
>> database online, but there we go…
>>
>> It looks like downloading the ChEBI database is the first step here, since
>> many entries appear to have SMILES information.
>>
>> But (important to note) ChEBI ≠ ChEMBL, although there is an overlap (a
>> considerable ione…).
>>
>> Harry
>>
>>> On 7 Oct 2022, at 10:29, jeet balraj <jeetendra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Harry
>>> To search the ligand of interest in the ChEMBL database, you can follow
>>> these simple steps:
>>> 1. download the ChEMBL database and extract all its SMILES.
>>> 2. calculate the MorganFingerprint of each of the SMILES in the database.
>>> 3. calculate the MorganFingerprint of your ligand.