The most pertinent question is, of course, what is the average frequency of
the disordered chain controversy flareup.  Once we figure that out, some
profound mysteries of the Universe will reveal themselves.  I am betting
it's a simple combination of the solar cycle, inflation adjusted price of a
bag of roasted chestnuts at Heinzels Wintermärchen and certainly the time
elapsed since the most recent cicada emergence in Montgomery
County, Maryland.  I am still working on the fudge factors, but maybe I
should just ask a neural network.

Aha, here is the (non)-answer to "What should I do about disordered
sidechains"

Disordered sidechains can be a common issue in protein structures,
> particularly in regions that are flexible or have low electron density. One
> approach is to manually adjust the position of the sidechain using software
> tools such as Coot or PyMOL. However, if the resolution of the protein
> structure is low or the disorder is extensive, it may be difficult to
> accurately position the sidechain. In such cases, it may be necessary to
> consider alternative approaches such as mutagenesis, site-directed labeling
> or multiple conformer modeling. The specific approach would depend on the
> particular protein structure being studied and the goals of the research
> project.

Joking aside, here is what I learned from the vigorous dead horse beatings
in the past.

- Some people like keeping adding invisible atoms to side chains and
letting B factors sort it out, Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt
eius.
- Some people like to remove invisible atoms.  These weirdos claim that all
atoms should be treated equally, and that adding a bunch of arginine atoms
is not different from completing the his-tag or adding hydrogens at medium
resolution.  They point out that adding disordered side chains (marginally)
increases statistical error on the rest of the well defined structure (
https://tinyurl.com/yvz73ak2) and refer to the practice as orwellian.
Snobs, basically.
- A small minority assigns zero occupancy to disordered atoms.  I admire
them as they have gone beyond agnosticism.  Let me give you coordinates for
the atom, they say.  Let me then tell you that atoms are never there and
thus have zero occupancy at that position.  Meaningless, you say?  Well, so
is your existence and Santa Claus is your parents.

Now that my telomeres are a few hundred units shorter than they were last
time I whipped myself up into a frenzy over disordered side chains, I would
summarize my views this way.

*People are free to choose how to interpret experimental data that they
themselves obtained. *
*Published structures are reported to the PDB, and if someone doesn't like
what I did to my arginines - well, interpret it your own way, I am not
stopping you. *

Also, this (with full appreciation of the formal ccp4bb focus on
computational crystallography - but come on, you are not here for the
maximum likelihood formalism)

*I am yet to see an example of when different modeling of a disordered side
chain 30 angstroms away from the area where actual molecular biology
happens has changed conclusions derived from protein structure in question.*

Special thanks to Adrian Goldman for changing my attitude on this specific
point years ago.

Cheers.

---
I don't know why the sacrifice didn't work. The science seemed so solid.
Julien XIII, Lord of the Lemurs