Hi Ramaswamy

I assume this is an April Fool's but it's still a serious question because
many reviewers who are not crystallographers or electron microscopists may
not fully appreciate the difference currently between the precision of
structures obtained by experimental and predictive methods, though the
latter are certainly catching up.  The answer of course lies in the
mean co-ordinate precision, related to the map resolution.

Quoting https://people.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~ubcg05m/precgrant.html :

"The accuracy and precision required of an experimentally determined model
of a macromolecule depends on the biological questions being asked of the
structure.  Questions involving the overall fold of a protein, or its
topological similarity to other proteins, can be answered by structures of
fairly low precision such as those obtained from very low resolution X-ray
crystal diffraction data [or AlphaFold].  Questions involving reaction
mechanisms require much greater accuracy and precision as obtained from
well-refined, high-resolution X-ray structures, including proper
statistical analyses of the standard uncertainties (*s.u.'s*) of atomic
positions and bond lengths.".

According to https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03819-2 :

The accuracy of AlphaFold structures at the time of writing (2021) was
around 1.0 Ang. RMSD for main-chain and 1.5 Ang. RMSD for side-chain atoms
and probably hasn't changed much since.  This is described as "highly
accurate"; however this only means that AlphaFold's accuracy is much higher
in comparison with other prediction methods, not in comparison with
experimental methods.  Also note that AlphaFold's accuracy is estimated by
comparison with the X-ray structure which remains the "gold standard";
there's no way (AFAIK) of independently assessing AlphaFold's accuracy or
precision.

Quoting https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0907444998012645 :

"Data of 0.94 A resolution for the 237-residue protein concanavalin A are
used in unrestrained and restrained full-matrix inversions to provide
standard uncertainties sigma(r) for positions and sigma(l) for bond
lengths. sigma(r) is as small as 0.01 A for atoms with low Debye B values
but increases strongly with B."

There's a yawning gap between 1.0 - 1.5 Ang. and 0.01 Ang.!  Perhaps
AlphaFold structures should be deposited using James Holton's new PDB
format (now that is an April Fool's !).

One final suggestion for a reference in your grant application:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.03.08.483439v2 .

Cheers

-- Ian