From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Ian Tickle
<ianj...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2023 9:46 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [External] Re: [ccp4bb] Structure prediction - waiting to happen

Hi Ramaswamy

I assume this is an April Fool's but it's still a serious question because many
reviewers who are not crystallographers or electron microscopists may not fully
appreciate the difference currently between the precision of structures
obtained by experimental and predictive methods, though the latter are
certainly catching up.  The answer of course lies in the mean co-ordinate
precision, related to the map resolution.

Quoting https://people.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~ubcg05m/precgrant.html :

"The accuracy and precision required of an experimentally determined model of a
macromolecule depends on the biological questions being asked of the structure.
 Questions involving the overall fold of a protein, or its topological
similarity to other proteins, can be answered by structures of fairly low
precision such as those obtained from very low resolution X-ray crystal
diffraction data [or AlphaFold].  Questions involving reaction mechanisms
require much greater accuracy and precision as obtained from well-refined,
high-resolution X-ray structures, including proper statistical analyses of the
standard uncertainties (s.u.'s) of atomic positions and bond lengths.".

According to https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03819-2 :

The accuracy of AlphaFold structures at the time of writing (2021) was around
1.0 Ang. RMSD for main-chain and 1.5 Ang. RMSD for side-chain atoms and
probably hasn't changed much since.  This is described as "highly accurate";
however this only means that AlphaFold's accuracy is much higher in comparison
with other prediction methods, not in comparison with experimental methods.
Also note that AlphaFold's accuracy is estimated by comparison with the X-ray
structure which remains the "gold standard"; there's no way (AFAIK) of
independently assessing AlphaFold's accuracy or precision.

Quoting https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0907444998012645 :

"Data of 0.94 A resolution for the 237-residue protein concanavalin A are used
in unrestrained and restrained full-matrix inversions to provide standard
uncertainties sigma(r) for positions and sigma(l) for bond lengths. sigma(r) is
as small as 0.01 A for atoms with low Debye B values but increases strongly
with B."

There's a yawning gap between 1.0 - 1.5 Ang. and 0.01 Ang.!  Perhaps AlphaFold
structures should be deposited using James Holton's new PDB format (now that is
an April Fool's !).

One final suggestion for a reference in your grant application:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.03.08.483439v2 .

Cheers

-- Ian

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 13:06, Subramanian, Ramaswamy