To add to Tim's references, the algorithms that pdb-redo uses to deal with Rfree and possible bias are described here: https://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2012/04/00/ba5174/index.html

If you happen to have a very small dataset (< 5000 reflections) pdb-redo does 10-fold cross validation and returns Rcomplete as well.

Cheers,
Robbie

On 28 Apr 2023 11:26, Tim Gruene <tim.gru...@univie.ac.at> wrote:

Dear Qixu Cai,

it  is a misconception that Rfree was not free anymore. The gap does
not close when you swap the reflections in Rfree set. The 'free'
reflections are freed when you do proper refinement, i.e., when the
value of the target function becomes stationary.
See https://doi.org/10.1107/S0907444997013875 and
https://doi.org/10.1107/S0907444999016868 for the mathematical
background, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1502136112 for an experimental
treatment, and Ian Tickle's explanations on this topic here on the
CCP4bb.

Best wishes,
Tim