Well - occupancy refinement is particularly imprecise, and highly
correlated with temperature factors.
Also the population for a surface ARG or LYS may well have more than two
conformations, whereas some internal residue is better defined.
There is also the Q of solvent - dual occupancies will generate dual
solvent networks..

..You dont say what resolution your data are. Again at 0.8A you can be
confident - at 3A it is at best a guess. So I for one do not take the
numbers very seriously - they are a flag only.

Presumably you didnt model the second conformation unless there was some
feature in an earlier map to suggest it existed?
Good luck Eleanor