Dear CCP4 Community,

My lab at Stanford (https://rogala.stanford.edu) is thrilled to announce a
newly funded position for a postdoctoral scholar with a background in
structural biology or protein biochemistry. Expertise in working with
either integral or peripheral membrane proteins will be an advantage, but
it is not a requirement. Compensation of our postdocs is set to the
Stanford rates <https://postdocs.stanford.edu/funding-rates-and-guidelines>.

Our lab is relatively new, and we are in search of driven candidates with a
start-up mentality and a deep interest in deciphering protein mechanisms.
Please share this opportunity with your soon-to-graduate PhD students who
may be looking for their next career step! We have a flexible start date,
so if you anticipate that your PhD might take another year to complete but
you like our research, we encourage you to apply.

Please see the official ad on the Stanford postdoc website here
<https://postdocs.stanford.edu/prospective/opportunities/open-postdoctoral-position-faculty-mentor-kacper-rogala>,
and a short blurb below — describing what our lab is about.

Potential candidates, please write a few lines about yourself — about your
previous research experience, and what you liked about our lab that got you
interested! Please include your CV and contact details to three references.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Kacper

KACPER ROGALA, D.PHIL.

*Assistant Professor*

*–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-*

Department of Structural Biology
<https://med.stanford.edu/structuralbio.html>

Department of Chemical and Systems Biology
<https://chemsysbio.stanford.edu/>
Stanford Cancer Institute <http://med.stanford.edu/cancer.html>

Stanford University School of Medicine

Biomedical Innovations Building
240 Pasteur Drive, 4700 | Palo Alto, CA, 94304

https://rogala.stanford.edu

We are a team of structural and chemical biologists fascinated by how cells
control their metabolism in response to nutrients. How are nutrients
recognized by their protein sensors? How is their transport across cellular
and intracellular membranes regulated? And, how is nutrient sensing
integrated with other chemical signals, such as growth factors, to
determine cellular decisions, especially the decision: to grow or not to
grow? We are aiming to answer these fundamental questions at the level of
ångstroms, nanometers, and micrometers — with cryo-EM, X-ray
crystallography, and a full range of other techniques. Many proteins in
nutrient signaling pathways are deregulated in cancer, and in parallel to
the mechanistic structural work, we are also developing targeted chemical
probes to modulate activity of these proteins in cells and organisms.

We primarily work on proteins that associate with biological membranes —
either as large peripheral membrane complexes, or as integral membrane
transporters.

Our latest papers on this topic are:

   -

   (REVIEW) Linde-Garelli and Rogala (2023) Structural mechanisms of the
   mTOR pathway. Current Opinion in Structural Biology. 82:102663. PMID:
   37572585 <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37572585/>.
   -

   Valenstein and Rogala et al. (2022) Structure of the nutrient-sensing
   hub GATOR2. Nature, 607(7919):610-616. PMID: 35831510
   <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35831510/>.
   -

   Rogala et al. (2019) Structural basis for the docking of mTORC1 on the
   lysosomal surface. Science, 366(6464):468-475. PMID: 31601708
   <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31601708>.
   -

   Shen and Rogala et al. (2019) Cryo-EM structure of the human
   FLCN-FNIP2-Rag-Ragulator complex. Cell, 179(6):1319-1329.e8. PMID:
   31704029 <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31704029>.