We are seeking to appoint two outstanding individuals with PhD training in
structural biology to reveal the structure and function of unconventional
kinetochore proteins.
We are also looking for one research assistant who is eager to learn new
techniques and help to run our group. This 4-year position comes with an
optional opportunity to obtain a PhD.

For details, please refer to the following adverts.
- Postdoc positions:
https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/8367
 (application deadline: 25 September 2023)
- Research Assistant position:
https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/8448
 (deadline: 9 October 2023)

Our group aims to discover fundamental principles and requirements governing
chromosome segregation machines in eukaryotes. Although it was widely believed
that all eukaryotes would have a conserved set of kinetochore proteins, we
identified more than 20 uncharacterized kinetochore proteins (named KKT1–25) in
Trypanosoma brucei (causative agent of African sleeping sickness) and
discovered that they constitute unconventional kinetochores specific to
kinetoplastids, a group of evolutionarily-divergent eukaryotes (Akiyoshi and
Gull, Cell 2014, Marcianò et al, Journal of Cell Biology 2021, Tromer et al.,
Open Biology 2021, Ludzia et al., Structure 2021). We are currently
characterizing these KKT proteins using various techniques including cell
biology, bioinformatics, super-resolution microscopy, biochemistry, biophysics,
and structural biology (X-ray crystallography, NMR, electron tomography, and
cryoEM/ET).

Please let me know if you have any query.

Best wishes,
Bungo

---------------------------------
Bungo Akiyoshi, PhD
Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellow
Wellcome Centre for Cell Biology
Institute of Cell Biology
School of Biological Sciences
The University of Edinburgh
Michael Swann Building
Max Born Crescent
Edinburgh EH9 3BF
https://www.ed.ac.uk/biology/wcb/research/research-group-leaders/bungo-akiyoshi
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with
registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh
Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.