Dear Daniel,

When board members expressed their opinions on social maladies (e.g. real or apparent sexism, anti-migrant bias, etc.) in the sciences in the past, that was being (divisively) political too--and thankfully so, I think.

An exhortation to refrain from political issues is, like it or not, itself political. Why so? Because it implies an exhortation to be complacent with the status quo level of various social maladies in the sciences and in the society at large, from which the sciences hardly stand isolated. (American historian Howard Zinn put it aptly when he said, "You Can't Be Neutral On A Moving Train." There's also a nice book of his of the same name, with some alternative views on other issues you touch on.)

Best regards,
Navdeep

---
Navdeep Sidhu