On 6/15/2015 11:33 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

On Jun 15, 2015, at 1:28 PM, ben <bfranc...@jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:

On 6/15/2015 10:57 AM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
But alas the software does *not* support the older chips.

How old is old? I managed to get a copy of ISE10.1 downloaded,
installed and running without phoning, ringing or otherwise
jumping through hoops. That supports the Spartan 2 which has been
obsolete for some time..  If you want to play with some Spartan 2
chips contact me off-line.

I use the other brand. I also program it in ADHL, that I can
understand. I also use crash and burn debugging with paper
listings, Ben.

What’s ADHL?  I know VHDL and haven’t yet learned Verilog.  I once
used an old proprietary CPLD language with Lattice (Lattice-HDL???).
Very primitive and not particularly easy to use, not to mention too
limited for anything beyond little CPLDs.

That was Altera's programing language. Since I have the hardware here
I have no need to move to anything else. Mind you the hardware docs
are sparse, a few datasheets on the major chips.

VHDL and Verilog have the benefit of being standards, and at least
for VHDL there are open source tools available (ghdl) that work
well.

As soon as you get real hardware, every brand is different.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from"

paul
Ben.