A couple of things.

Firstly, I noticed that my Mini-Pro could only read SOME of the 2716's I
had, not all of them.  So, just because it read as zeros might not mean
it really is.

Secondly, there is a 2K bit Altos-related ROM available at

http://toastytech.com/files/ancientroms.html

There is a link to a zip file.  Look for the one labeled ALTOS.ROM in
the zip file - is is the right size (2K Bits).  It is "Monitor Version
6.05" - but it looks like is for a system that could have a hard disk.

I have an Altos 8000-2 (double density) that I just acquired off eBay
that is in a similar state - no floppy activity, nothing on the
terminal.  But I was able to dump its rom with an 8K Bytesaver - haven't
disassembled it yet.

If you weren't aware, Doc on the 8000 series is available at
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/altos .  But I don't think it covers the 8500.

JRJ