On 7/14/2015 10:29 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

On Jul 14, 2015, at 12:23 PM, ben <bfranc...@jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:

On 7/13/2015 10:02 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

A different approach is to reproduce the actual logic design.
FPGAs can be fed gate level models, though that’s not the most
common practice as I understand it.  But if you have access to
that level of original design data, the result can be quite
accurate.

The big assumption here, is the software will NOT change the logic
model and the details are vender specific. Altera software is BAD
for doing this.

So now I know two reasons not to use AHDL.  :-)

It is more the case, of what you don't know can't hurt you. This is a
back end of the compiler problem. With FPGA logic changing every 6 months, you have less standard logic blocks.

Yes, it does require that the synthesis software doesn’t have major
bugs.  And of course, the model has to be sufficiently constrained
that it steers the synthesis correctly.

With AHDL I know what is generated, if I can't figure out verlog or VHDL's
logic I refuse to write in it. Why do we not have a good logic language (RTL?) for hardware? ( I consider them to be COBOL of the digital world).

In my case, I haven’t reached that point yet.  My models currently
only run in simulation (GHDL to be specific).

I have FPGA board here, so I use Crash and burn testing.