On 08/01/2015 09:40 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
On 08/01/2015 07:05 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

When repairing CPU motherboards with bad caps, this is a really big problem. I dilute the lead-free solder with leaded solder, this helps lower the melting point to where two soldering irons (one on each side of the board) can be used to clear out the plated-through
holes.  Those are multilayer boards, and way worse.

Ever tried using a fusible alloy such as Chip-Quick? That can make things very easy to remove without overheating the PCB. (I use a plain old PAR38 120W spotlight/reflector to heat things up.

Diluting the tin solder with SnPb works quite well, I have used this trick many times to fix boards with large ground planes. I don't do these sorts of repairs often, so I would lose special stuff like Chip-Quick and never be able to find it.

Last batch, my boss volunteered me to re-cap a dozen Dell PCs they were going to trash at work, WITHOUT consulting with me first!

Jon