Hi Pontus
       Thanks that clears up one or two things.
I worked on a straight 8 with its clear cover on top along with a couple of 8/e's at Harwell.

Whilst at DEC 1975 onwards I saw loads of 8/a's and the odd 8/e lurking on the top of a filing cabinet. As far as I can remember I never saw an 8/i,8/i, 8/f,8/s or 8/m used in house.

By that time flavor of the month was the PDP-11/34A. We sold a hell of alot of those. I have one awaiting restoration. I can't remember if they have a switching psu or not.
It matters not. Turf out all electrolytic capacitors on sight.

Regards

Rod