> On Aug 18, 2015, at 09:08 , Al Kossow <a...@bitsavers.org> wrote:
> Jason and IA are deliberately working to redirect all search
> traffic to IA from the original mirrors by constantly creating useless 'new'
> content that
> Google thinks is real.

I'm rather skeptical of that claim.

> I have watched over time as the volume of Google top search hits have
> migrated to IA hosted
> content from the mirrors.

So what? The information is still available at Bitsavers, and now it's also
available on additional sites, too. Who cares what comes up higher on a third
party's search engine? Search engine optimization is important to people trying
to maximize traffic to their site because they make money off of it, but it's
not relevant to a nonprofit preservation effort. And mirroring of the content
is important from a fault tolerance standpoint. What happens to the contents of
Bitsavers if you get hit by a meteor and thus no longer maintain it? And what
of all of the things that Jason archives and makes publicly, freely available
that aren't on Bitsavers and are unlikely to end up there because they're
outside your areas of interest?

There are things for which my site comes up at or near the top of searches. And
if something else comes along that displaces it, I'm unlikely to care. My site
will still be there as long as I am willing and able to maintain it.

I think that Bitsavers and IA are both great things. I use both, love both, and
consider both of them to be great resources, each with their own strengths and
weaknesses. I don't see any grounds for hostility between supporters of either
of them.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/