On 08/21/2015 06:10 PM, Ali wrote:
Hello All,

Recently I came across a complete Pertec interface (card, manual, software,
and, cables) thanks to list-member Shaun. Of course what is the point of
having an interface if you have nothing to interface it to!

So I've been looking at, and learning a bit, about 1/2" tape drives.
Enough Pertec drives were made so that manuals should be no problem. Some other makes were made in fairly small numbers so manuals may be a problem.

You have to decide, spring-arm, vacuum-column or streaming, and then most dual density drives were either 800/1600 or 1600/6250. Few would do all three. (Also there's 3200 BPI, identical to 1600 PE mode, just double the clock, but it is a fairly rare setup.)

We had a Digi-Data streaming tape drive that was a complete disaster. The read data chips burned out about one a month.

I still have 2 CDC "Keystone" (92185) drives here that work. They are well-built and almost elegant.

Oh, with "Pertec interface" there are TWO FLAVORS! The old system was Pertec unformatted, with 3 cables. Write, Read and Control. Later was Pertec formatted, with two cables. They are totally incompatible, so make sure you get drives compatible with your interface.

Jon