On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, Lyle Bickley wrote:

The IBM 1620 at the CHM is a running computer. There were two teams that worked on the 1620 at the CHM. The first Team got it running. Unfortunately, IBM used the wrong kind of solder on the core memory and so the wires of the core memory literally "dissolved".

With all the different solder alloys I work with regularly, I have to ask...what type of solder caused that sort of damage? Was it the alloy itself, or did IBM use a flux which was too active and then failed to clean away all the residue? If they used a rosin-based flux, was it due to the specific activator used in the flux?