On 2015-Dec-28, at 6:10 PM, steve shumaker wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 2:06 AM, jwsmobile wrote:
>>
>> On 12/28/2015 1:45 AM, Rod Smallwood wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Anybody who has not seen this film (The KGB, the Computer, and Me)
>>> its worth a look. 1980's DEC systems everywhere, LSI terminals, HP kit,
>>> Tape drives in action and apart from the Mac no Windows anywhere.
>>>
>>> I think LBL must have bought one of everything.
>>> The story (true) is not bad either.
>>>
>>> I now expect to get a long list of weveseenits.
>>>
>>> Ron
>> I have not seen that, but have the Stoll Book, Cuckoo's Egg.  A friend of
>> mine is central to this, and is in the book (though I've not seen him for 30
>> years...)
>>
>> Ron Vivier was a programmer @ Microdata for a couple of years before leaving
>> and moving to the Bay area and resurfacing @ Tymnet.  There was a lull for a
>> bit then all of a sudden the story about Stoll trapping the guy made
>> headlines, and there in the front of it was Ron.  He did what I'd have
>> expected him to do, but the people covering the story didn't get that was in
>> his nature to help like that.
>>
>> I ended up with the desk cleanout droppings from his desk and kept most of
>> it for years, and still owe him a chess clock (which is around here
>> somewhere).  Still has his name dymo'ed on the top.
>>
>> I found the video you posted about, will take a look tomorrow, late here
>> tonight.  thanks for the lead.  Wonder what Stoll is up to these days.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim
>>
> among the other activities mentioned here, he still gets speaking invitations
> to law enforcement functions.   He has a habit of showing up with a large
> envelope of viewgraph slides asking for an overhead projector.
>
> steve shumaker
> (yes...   I was there - the book is actually rather accurate)

I didn't recognise the title at first, watched it and realised I had watched it
previously.
Sure was a snapshot of the time - even a trip to Radio Shack.
Even had a sexy shower scene.

In 1985 I was setting up our new email system at CERN, and the email system had
a security flaw that allowed the users' mail access passwords to be seen.
This in of itself wasn't too big deal as there was little a hacker could do
with it (only get access to mail pickup, and you'd need a system that talked
X.400, which weren't prevalent).
What made it a big security problem, of course, was that users tended to use
their login password for their mail password, so once the hackers uncovered the
mail password they ipso-facto often got a login password.
The hacking was noticed and I was told they were networking in from Germany.

Given the commonalities: time proximity (85-86), hacker source (Germany) and
hacking targets (HEP/nuclear/research community), I wonder now if it was the
same group of hackers.