On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Mike Ross wrote:

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 8:43 PM, David Griffith <d...@661.org> wrote:

I've managed to edit klh10 to talk to my new USB Panda Display

*blinks*

There's a USB Panda display?

I bought two of the original parallel port Panda displays years ago.
Recently wasted a lot of time trying to get them to work. The Windows
diagnostic tool program works perfectly - sending patterns to lights
and running them. But try to use them with klh and they initialize
with a few random lights on when you start it and then never change at
any point until *hardware* power is cycled. Evidently there's
something screwy and the support for them was never actually
incorporated into klh and/or the final Panda TOPS-20 release.

One of the big limitations of the original Panda Display is that the parallel port is accessed through IO ports, not the operating system. Because of that, a USB-to-parallel converter will not work. I also got one of the original displays. By the time I built it up, I didn't have easy access to a real parallel port. That's when I started to design a USB-based display. The hardware and firmware is fairly simple. The klh10 side of it is more complicated.

--
David Griffith
d...@661.org