>First off, IIRC, these are leadscrew-type positioner drives.  One issue
>dogging these is that grease on the leadscrew can get filthy with dirt or
>harden, preventing smooth operation of the positioner.  Make sure that the
>leadscrew is clean--use a mild solvent such as kerosene if it's hardened.
>Re-lube with a lightweight grease or oil--you just don't want the carriage to
>"stick" in its travel.

Good point about this. One drive was quite smooth on that long lead
screw, the other was very stiff. I thought that it was trying to move
it and drawing too much current, leading to a shutdown or error state.
It loosened up with manual turning and I used some light machine oil
and worked it in. It now moves about as easily as the other, so I
don't think that this is still the issue.

>Make sure that the track 0 sensor is clean--the same for the index sensor.

I believe I probed these with my oscilloscope and verified they were
toggling, but it wouldn't hurt to check again.

>Remember that floppy drive bus topology is open-collector, which implies that
>the "receiving"  (far) end be terminated with a pullup resistor (usually 150
>ohms to +5 on 8" drives).  Very often, this is in the form of a DIP resistor
>network.  If you're missing it, operation is going to be erratic.

Another great tip. This plagued me for a long time, until I realized
that I had only one drive connected, and it had the resistor network
IC unpopulated. I borrowed it from the other drive (they were on the
same wire, so I suppose that only one resistor network is necessary)
and that's what led to my initial success.

>Since you're dealing with single-sided floppies, check the condition of the
>side 1 pressure pad--the glue on these often dries out and the pad falls off.
>The pad itself resembles a billiard cue tip.

You're going right down the list of issues I ran into! One of the
pressure pads was nonexistent, but the other is in good condition. One
issue I had was that the head load plastic assembly that brings the
media in conformity with the sensor was broken and held together with
a twisty-tie. I used some CAD software to design a replacement and had
it 3D printed:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?49265-Owning-and-operating-an-S-100-bus-computer/page4

It seems to do the job, but I still don't have a replacement pad. That
seems to be okay however, because on one drive the head load solenoid
doesn't appear to come down far enough to push the disk very much. I
don't think I've ever seen the pad on either drive come down enough to
physically touch the disk--maybe just brushing it, barely. What might
cause this?

-Dan