On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 23:20:16 +0100, Glen Slick <glen.sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Robert Jarratt
<robert.jarr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

I don't have a 3200, nor can I find a manual, but since it looks to be more modern than a 2000, and apparently supports an RD54, then I would have thought the console firmware could format it. On the 2000 TEST 71 will check the disk and tell you what it is, TEST 70 will format it. Perhaps you could try those commands to see if they also work on the 3200.

Should be an M7620 KA650 CPU in a BA23 box with an M7168 / M7169 VCB02
QDSS video subsystem. The storage controller should be an M7555 RQDX3.

Manual available here:
http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/hcps/154aaow1.pdf

If you could swap a Q-Bus PDP-11 CPU and memory in for the KA650 VAX
CPU then you could run XXDP ZRQCH0 diagnostics to format the RD54 on
the RQDX3.

Yep, it's in a BA23 with a ridiculously dense Q-Bus. I considered installing the KZQSA from the 4000 in the 3200, but the edge connectors won't fit even after removing the panel, plus I read in the list archives that the 3200 won't boot from it. :^(

There's a QDSS as you point out, but I haven't tested it yet; need a splitter cable and one of those elusive VSXXX mice. Do have an LK201 knocking about tho.

Wasn't aware the XXDP diags run on a PDP...

--GT

--
"END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]
"... nowhere in the standards is it specified that 'programs that use a lot of memory may randomly crash at any time for no apparent reason'" [Stackoverflow forum, 2012]