We bought a Multiwire job on our clone of the Microdata 1600 and the tech it used, I think, was welded wires laid in muck that was soft.

They would fab up a firm carrier board with all the thru-holes set, then put down a soft pliable layer of epoxy(??). They would weld one of the wires to an appropriate thru-hole then the wire would be pushed into the media and routed to the terminus. Similar to wirewrap process from the routing requirements (keep number of connections to any post / thruhole adhering to design rules). But when it was complete, you could see all the wires thru the goo they used after it hardened or was set up.

The set we had worked well, but was about 3500 bucks for an approximately 8 x 10 board with a 130pin edge card connector. Kinda pricy. However, if you had a working design, it was overnight turnaround with a PC.

thanks
Jim