On 05/24/2016 12:17 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
A couple of observations.

Taking the PDP-11 as a fairly typical example, the switches are "data" and
"address".  While running, the data switches were visible to the software, and could do
something if you wanted to (typically this wasn't done).
Actually, all PDP-11s I used had one set of switches, that could be used for address or data, as appropriate to the operation. So, the load address switch would load the address with 18, 22 or whatever address width that model had. Otherwise, all operations only used the lower 16 switches. The data switches were readable as one I/O register. When you read it, it reported the switches. When you wrote to it, some models could display it on the panel. These were used in some diagnostic programs.

Jon