Am 25.05.2016 um 06:45 schrieb drlegendre .:
It may, in fact, be possible - with custom ROMs - to use the 1541 for other
formats. But it's telling that no one, so far as I know, has ever managed
to create software to 'tween the various 5-1/4" floppy formats, using the
1541 transport & hardware.
The 1570/71/81 drives have a dedicated WD controller chip for the compatible MFM formats. I doubt that even with a custom ROM it would be possible to cleanly bit-bang MFM instead of GCR to the data/clock port to the drive. With the GCR encoding home-grown by Commodore there were no tight restrictions to the data rates that are enforced by IBM compatible formats; they could invent any rate
their hard- and software could manage.

Holger

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com>