On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2016, at 3:08 AM, Fritz Mueller <fri...@fritzm.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info!  I can check the bottom of a VT52 to see what's
>>> there at those dimensions - feet or any corner/edge features.  Anyone
>>> have a photo handy of the bottom of a VT52?  With a scale ruler?  I
>>> can take one but it'll be a week or two until I'm in the right place.
>>
>> Pic of bottom of VT52 w/ ruler:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/a/fritzm.org/file/d/0Bx_zOIQ4Z79ZbVBHa1dYSTlmQzA/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> <https://drive.google.com/a/fritzm.org/file/d/0Bx_zOIQ4Z79ZbVBHa1dYSTlmQzA/view?usp=sharing>
>
> As I recall, the VT52 stand is smaller than you'd expect because the pan
> holds only the main body of the display: the four feet (two at the back and
> two near the back edge of that mesh panel) drop into the pan at its four
> corners.  The keyboard section of the VT5x simply extends forward from the
> stand pan.

That makes sense.  I was looking at the pan size and it was several
inches longer than the footprint of the 4 feet on the bottom of the
terminal (13 3/4" for the VT52 and 22 7/8" for the pan) , and then
there was Paul Birkel's comment that the footprint of his VT52 was
wider than that pan.

Checking the external dimensions of a VT100, the terminal is 18" wide
by ~14" deep, and the keyboard is 18" wide and 8" deep.  Adjusting for
a small setback for the feet, a 17"x22" pan seems like it would have
no problems accepting a VT100 and keyboard with not much margin.

> On the other hand, a VT100 needs a large pan because the keyboard is a
> separate part, and it too sits on the stand.  So I suspect the stand shown by
> BM is a VT100 stand, not a VT52 stand.

I have seen neither so I can't provide any historical experience to
tell them apart, but the dimensions seem to bear that out.

A nice stand, and if I found one close, I'd use it, but not
specifically a VT52 stand.

-ethan